Step 1: Be sure you are eligible to vote by mail in Tennessee.
- Check your eligibility
- You cannot vote absentee/vote by mail if it is your first time voting in Tennessee
Step 2: Request a ballot
- Print a Ballot Request Form, complete and mail to your election commission; OR
- Don’t have a printer? Call your county election commission and ask them to send you a Ballot Request Form; OR
- Mail, Fax, or Email the following information to your election commission. Your signature must be hand-written.
- Name of the registered voter
- Address of the voter’s residence
- Voter’s social security number
- Voter’s date of birth
- Address to mail the ballot
- The election in which the voter wishes to participate. If the election involves a primary, the political party in which the voter wishes to participate.
- Reason the voter wishes to vote absentee. If applicable, a copy of the CDL containing the CDL number or the TWIC card must be included in the voter’s request.
- Voter’s signature
Step 3: Complete your Ballot Request Form
- Be sure to complete ALL required parts of the form; AND
- Be sure to sign your signature by hand; AND
- Mail, Fax, or Email your Ballot Request Form to your county election commission. If you mail, don’t forget a stamp.
Step 4: Complete your Ballot
- Check your mailbox every day and complete your ballot ASAP.
- Be sure to complete ALL required parts on the ballot; AND
- Be sure to sign your signature by hand;
Step 5: Mail your Ballot
- Your ballot MUST be mailed.
- Be sure to put the address of your county’s election commission.
- Put a first class stamp or “forever stamp” on the upper right hand corner.
- Mail your Ballot back as soon as you get it. Your ballot must be received by the election commission by the end of the day on election day. Don’t take a chance. Mail it as soon as you get it.
Step 6: Track your Ballot
- Be sure your ballot gets to the election commission using this tracker
- Contact your county election commission if it has been several days and it does not show received.
Remember! If you want to vote by mail (and are eligible to) you need to do the above process for EACH election.