VolCards are NOT accepted as a form of ID to vote in Tennessee.
Required Photo ID for Voting
Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:
- Tennessee driver license with your photo
- United States Passport
- Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security
- Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
- United States Military photo ID
- Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo
Get a Passport
Campus Passport Services
Location: Student Union 161E; 865-974-7960
Processing Time: 6-8 Weeks
Get a Tennessee Photo ID
If you have never had a Tennessee ID, you must visit a full service location. Below are nearby locations. A complete list of TN full service locations.
430 Montbrook Lane,
Knoxville, TN 37919
7320 Region Lane,
Knoxville, TN 37914
475 Oak Ridge Turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
318 Home Avenue
Maryville, TN 37801
1220 Graduate Drive
Sevierville, TN 37862
Tennessee Photo ID Costs
- If you have never had a State or Federal ID: Free
(Does not include REAL ID)
- If you would like a REAL ID (needed to fly starting Oct 2020): $12
- If you have a State ID or Driver’s License from another state: $28
- If you have a TN State ID or TN Driver’s License: $12 (Duplicate Fee)
Required Documents to get a Photo ID
Photocopies are not accepted
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay in the United States [See Accepted Documents]
- Proof of any Name Changes if Different than name on Primary ID
- Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address – NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.; See Accepted Documents)
- A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
For a free photo ID, each applicant must also sign an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that he or she does not have a valid government-issued photo ID for voting purposes. To expedite this transaction, voters may print the affidavit here and sign it before visiting the Driver Service Center. Copies of this affidavit are also available at county election commissions across the state.
The Affidavit also asks if you are a registered voter and if you need this ID to vote.