What ID is required to vote in Tennessee?
Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:
- Tennessee driver license with your photo
- United States Passport
- Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security
- Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
- United States Military photo ID
- Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo
Get a Passport
Campus Passport Services, Student Union 161E; 865-974-7960
Other Passport Acceptance Facilities by zip code.
Processing times can vary, but they are approximately 12-18 weeks.
$65-$145; See the U.S. Department of State website for a breakdown of fees.
Proof of Citizenship
- A certified birth certificate from the country or state in which you were born, birth certificate must have a raised, embossed, impressed or multi colored seal, and list both parents. (Hospital certificates and photocopies are not acceptable).
- A naturalization certificate
- A certificate of citizenship
- A full term, non-limited US Passport book or card (undamaged)
Proof of Identity
- A valid state or federally issued picture ID such as driver’s license, ID card, military ID, passport book or card.
You may bring a photo (US Passport size: 51mm x 51mm/2″ x 2″) or Passport Services can take one for you ($10).
Get a free Voter ID
If you have never had a government-issued ID, the Department of Safety and Homeland Security will provide you a photo ID at no charge. However, you must visit the Strawberry Plains location, 7320 Region Lane, Knoxville, TN 37914.
Free, if you have never had a government-issued ID.
- Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate); and
- Two proofs of Tennessee residency (such as a copy of a utility bill, vehicle registration/title, or bank statement).
Each applicant must also sign an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that he or she does not have a valid government-issued photo ID for voting purposes. The Affidavit also asks if you are a registered voter and if you need this ID to vote. If you do not have a birth certificate, ask to speak to a Driver Service Center manager who will work with you to identify possible other documentation to prove citizenship).
Get a Tennessee Driver’s License or Photo ID
If you have never had a Tennessee ID, you must visit a full service location. Below are nearby locations. A complete list of TN full service locations.
430 Montbrook Lane,
Knoxville, TN 37919
(Does not provide free Voter IDs)
7320 Region Lane,
Knoxville, TN 37914
(only Knox Co. location that provides free Voter IDs)
475 Oak Ridge Turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
318 Home Avenue
Maryville, TN 37801
1220 Graduate Drive
Sevierville, TN 37862
Check this chart to see the cost of Photo IDs and Driver’s Licenses.
Photocopies are not accepted; All documents must be originals
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay in the United States [See Accepted Documents]
- Proof of any Name Changes if Different than name on Primary ID
- Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address – NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.; See Accepted Documents)
- A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
Get a Handgun Permit
Handgun Carry Permits with photos may be used to vote in Tennessee. For more information on Enhanced and Concealed Handgun Carry Permits, please see this website.